Explorer Post #831
The Explorer Program is a fun and safe way for young people in our community, fourteen to twenty years of age, to learn about the field of law enforcement. Explorers participate in ride-alongs, traffic control, crowd control, give tours of the Police Department, and help with many other tasks and events. This program gives teens an understanding of various law enforcement careers and helps them to decide whether or not to pursue a career in law enforcement.
Becoming an Explorer
If you are interested in applying for the Scotts Valley Police Explorer Post, please submit an Application and a one page essay on why you want to be considered for the program. The recruitment will close when we get a sufficient number of responses.
- Email your application and essay (preferably as a PDF or Word file) to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at the lobby of Scotts Valley Police Department.
- Sign up for a patrol ride-a-long with a member of the department.
- Next, an Explorer staff member will contact you in order to set up a date for an oral interview.
- If you are accepted into our Post, you will be notified (via phone call or email) within two weeks of your interview date.
- Attendance to the first three meetings is mandatory.
- After the first three meetings, you will officially be a probationary Explorer.
- You must complete a Field Training program which will give you the knowledge and training you need in order to be an Explorer.
- Upon passing the Field Training final, you will be a full-fledged Patrol Explorer.
- You must be at least 14, but no older than 20 years old.
- You must have an interest in Law Enforcement and show an interest in learning.
- You must be enrolled in either high school or college.
- You must maintain a C grade point average.
- You must demonstrate a good level of responsibility and maturity. A record of criminal violations may be grounds for disqualification from our post.
- The Scotts Valley Police Explorer Post has monthly meetings and physical training that you must attend regularly.
Explorer Post Information
The Scotts Valley Police Explorer Post #831 is a part of a department wide Tradition of Excellence. We strive to maintain a professional post of volunteers who share an interest in law enforcement. The Police Explorer program allows young people to grow and develop while gaining invaluable experience and knowledge.
If you have questions about joining the Scotts Valley Police Explorers, you may email your questions to email@example.com or visit the National Police Explorer website.
The City Of Scotts Valley is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.